Monday, March 17, 2008

Sesquipedalianism

Every once in a while, I indulge in the fantasy of chucking it all to pursue a PhD in semiotics. But then I remember linguist Geoff Nunberg, who no doubt has already accomplished more in the field than I could ever hope to. Seriously, if linguists had fan clubs, I'd own his t-shirt.

On today's Fresh Air, Mr. Nunberg turns a reflection on the late William F. Buckley into a profound meditation on the payoffs and perils invited by the writer who indulges a love for sesquipedalian and little-known words (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=88397125).

Check it out, and please let me know where I can get that t-shirt.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matthew! It is your sister-in-law Naomi. I can't really figure out what this post is about, but it seems you might appreciate Weird and Wonderful Words.

My favorite is "Torschlusspanik". It means, "a sense of panic in middle age brought on by the feeling that life is passing you by." My single aim in life has been to figure out a way to use it naturally in a sentence. Sadly, I'm failing.

Matthew W. Kingsbury said...

That's because you're not middle-aged yet.

Anonymous said...

Well. At least I have something to look forward to in middle age, then.