Monday, October 13, 2008

Download iTunes 8


I have more than 3000 songs in my iTunes library. While around 300 of those are spoken word tracks (lectures, Mars Hill Audio Journal, and such), that's still a lot of songs to remember and make sure I take time to appreciate. (And yes, I realize many of you hep young cats out there have a vastly larger collection of mp3s. But it's big for a guy who still has hundreds of cassette tapes in his basement.) This is why I love the "Genius" feature of iTunes version 8.

Select a given track, click on the Genius sidebar button, and iTunes will suggest other tracks you might like to buy from the iTunes store. This is not why I love iTunes 8. I love iTunes 8 because when I click on the other Genius button, it automatically generates a playlist from my library on the basis on the original track. Since the songs all come from my library, I know they're good (because, of course, I have impeccable taste). But I had forgotten they were in there, and so I have the added thrill of hearing really good songs I haven't heard in a long time.

I really should buy some Apple stock. Better yet, Apple should just give me some shares for this unsolicited plug.

No comments: