Tuesday, September 22, 2009

First thoughts on "The Road"

I’ve been avoiding The Road pretty much since it was first published. Although a great admirer of Cormac McCarthy, as the father of two small boys I thought a novel about a man and his young son wandering a postapocalyptic landscape would tap directly into the “wake up screaming” center of my cerebral cortex. But a few months ago a friend insisted I borrow his copy, and after getting through the stack of comic books and the-American-Republic-is-long-gone-and-never-coming-back literature on my nightstand, I started reading it. 87 pages in, I have this to say:

1) Boy oh boy, can Cormac McCarthy write. His prose is spare, but florid; the best description I’ve ever heard of it is “like Ernest Hemingway and William Faulkner, but at the same time.” From a lesser writer, his style would be ridiculous; but McCarthy is our great American master, and every word is carefully considered, serving a purpose (and sometimes I think that purpose is to build my vocabulary). I’m compelled as much by how he writes as with the story he’s writing. However, while I can live without quotation marks (the American literati’s union has apparently forbidden their use), I always find the absence of apostrophes jarring (although a few seem to have sneaked in past the proofreader).

2) My fears about reading this book were dead on. This story is every father’s worst nightmare; that plus McCarthy’s gripping prose adds up to a reading experience not unlike waking up from a bad dream and then trying to fall back asleep in order to continue it.

3) McCarthy has this much right: the essence of true manhood is being a husband and father, and the essence of those roles is a willingness to kill, but more centrally to die, for one’s family.

1 comment:

McQuinas said...

I read THE ROAD about a year ago and it was the most intense book I've ever read. I don't know how McCarthy does it, but in this book he takes reading to a chilling physiological level.

I literally had to read it in one sitting (till 3:00 AM in my case). It was as if that if I went to sleep with the story unresolved, I thought I might inhabit the story. Weird.

The most striking thing about the story for me was the relationship of father and son. It's like McCarthy is saying, "This, this here, is paternity."

I don't want to give anything away, Matthew, but the ending is not one of nihilism, but of possibility, and, indeed, hope.

Good reading!

-Matt M.