Saturday, October 3, 2009

Don't read "The Road"


Cormac McCarthy's The Road is compelling and transforming. His work may be what Norman Mailer had in mind when he said, "The purpose of a great novel, however, is not to cater to one’s passing needs, but to enter one’s life; even alter it" (at the National Book Awards in 2005; although The Road wasn't published until 2006, so maybe Mailer was thinking of All the Pretty Horses). I continue to wrestle with this prolonged meditation on the requirements of fatherhood.

I should say as well that the book ends, remarkably enough, on a note of hope. But to get there, you have to slog through page after page of unrelenting, unremitting horror, with more scenes than I can count which you will wish you had never read so that those images wouldn't be seared into your head. I'm glad I did, but I can't recommend you do. 

No comments: