Monday, December 19, 2011

The Presbyterian Curmudgeon wishes for a merry Christmas album


With just five days to Christmas, I suppose it's time to officially give up on this year's Christmas offerings. Having been enchanted by She & Him's first two albums, I had high hopes for A Very She & Him Christmas, but said hopes were dashed. Not bad, but it felt like they were much too cool to fully commit themselves in the way a Christmas album demands. Having said that, I did like their rendition of "Baby, It's Cold Outside," in which they reverse the lines assigned to male and female.

As nothing else has emerged to capture my imagination this Yuletide season, I find myself harkening back fondly to Raul Malo's Marshmellow World and Other Holiday Favorites. And being disappointed with She & Him's "Little Saint Nick," I've now determined the definitive version is by Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem on the 1979 classic John Denver & the Muppets: A Christmas Together.

Looks like another round of traditional Christmas tunes for the curmudgelings this year.



No comments: