Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Tempted


"Squeeze" comes after "Springsteen" and before "Sting," which gives you some idea as to where I am in my project to convert my old audiocassettes into mp3 files. Hence, Tempted, which is perhaps Squeeze's greatest greatest hit (if you follow me) has been stuck in my head for about a week now, and I still can't figure out the lyrics.

Yes. I know it's about someone being tempted. I did, in fact, go to college.

My trouble lies in the song's narrative. This isn't I Am the Walrus; clearly, there's a story here being told through all the clever wordplay. I just can't put it together.

So. Please produce a stanza-by-stanza analysis. Bonus points for witty literary references and comments on Elvis Costello's contributions as a producer and vocalist.

No comments: