Friday, October 5, 2012

Pa Curmudgeon yanks my chain


Pa Curmudgeon sent me this article from the Willamette Week, in which the editors attempt to determine the state with the best beer. According the rules of the contest, Colorado (which, as we all know, has a beer culture vastly superior to that of Portland Oregon) came out pretty low, entirely because Fat Tire was chosen to represent the Centennial State. Well, duh.

Not surprisingly, Oregon came out in the top 10, represented by a porter. This is interesting, as the rules of the contest state, "Most candidates are the best-selling local brews in their homeland." A porter is the best-selling local brew in Oregon. Who knew?

While I disdain Fat Tire just as much as the next guy, let me take this opportunity to defend New Belgium. Its flagship product is nothing to write home about, but much of its output is. A few months ago I discovered Belgo IPA, a Belgian-styled IPA. Generally, I find Belgian ales overly yeasty and off-putting, but when combined with IPA hoppiness, this beer intrigues me to no end. I can't say I love it, but I find it endlessly fascinating, a challenge to which I want to keep coming back.

And no, it doesn't taste like Fat Tire.

No comments: