Monday, December 22, 2014

A Christmas podcast instead


Finding no new Christmas albums whose recording artists didn't induce a yawn, I decided to download Harry Belafonte's Christmas (a reissue of his 1958 To Wish You a Merry Christmas) from Freegal, but even that disappointed. The performances were so anodyne that I wondered whether someone else had secretly recorded "Day-O" in his place. I'm now reduced to hoping that some record company executive will rediscover Simon and Garfunkel's version of "Go Tell It on the Mountain" from Wednesday Morning 3 A.M. and convince them to reunite for a whole Christmas album. Hey, it worked for Bob Dylan and Christmas in the Heart.
Being as I listen to my podcasts in sequential order and I'm living about 4 weeks in the past (which means no, I still haven't heard the final installment of Serial), I decided to sort out the holiday-themed episodes for this week's listening. The Truth is sort of an old-fashioned radio drama show, except all the sound elements reflect a distinctly modern sensibility. NPR's All Things Considered commissioned them to produce a story to air on Christmas day, and they came up with the truly wonderful "Naughty or Nice." You can wait to hear it on the radio on December 25, or you can download it today. Every minute brought me a delighted smile, and, needless to say, it drives home the true meaning of Christmas.

Which is presents.

No comments: