Thursday, January 29, 2009

My utter lack of perspective


At the risk of revealing just how miserably out of whack my priorities are, I here make known to the world that one of the few things which sustains me through the dark dark months of January and February (besides passive-aggressively neglecting to take down the Christmas lights from the roof) is the arrival in my grocer's freezer of Dreyer's Girl Scout Thin Mint ice cream. Its rich creamy chocolatey goodness, with the crunchy delicate deliciousity of thin mint cookies, brings joy into a landscape of otherwise relentless bleakness.

But not this year. Oh, no. Not this year.

This year, this sad, grim, economically miserable, precipice-of-the-next-great-depression year, Dreyer's has decided to shift its Girl Scout cookie ice creams over to its "slow churned," i.e., light line. In point of fact, this new version is not half-bad. It has none of that horrible artificial sweetener taste, and though it's lower-fat, the churning method spares it the ice-milk abomination which is too many "diet" ice creams. So, for the record, I actually enjoy the new Thin Mint ice cream.

Nonetheless.

I like cheeseburgers a great deal, but that doesn't mean I want to live in a world which has only cheeseburgers and no prime rib. I'm inclined to say Dreyer's has ruined my life by taking away my Thin Mint ice cream, but that would clearly be an exaggeration. However, Dreyer's has most certainly pushed me back into full-on curmudgeonliness.

Blame them. I'm just another victim of the Man.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I'm not crazy that I find no pleasure in eating this new-fangled Girl Scout stuff!

Anonymous said...

The real stuff is available in the New Seasons market in the Concordia neighborhood of Portland. Eat your heart out! (in lieu of the real stuff)