Wednesday, November 3, 2010

God bless John Hickenlooper

There was little doubt John Hickenlooper would become Colorado’s next governor, especially after Tom Tancredo entered the race and peeled away the sloganeering nativist constituency from the Republican party. Nonetheless, the fact he won by a clear majority in a hotly contested three-way race indicates the high level of respect he has earned in our great state.

In both his Christianity and politics, Hickenlooper is liberal (being an Episcopalian Democrat), while I tend to think conservatism in either is suspiciously progressive (being an Orthodox Presbyterian reflexive reactionary). Still, I have been impressed with Hickenlooper’s work as mayor of Denver. He has studiously avoided the politicking and party chicanery of (at least some of) his predecessors. Moreover, he made the centerpiece of his administration a quixotic mission to rid Denver of homelessness and, believe it or not, committed actual time and resources to the effort. Most notable has been his willingness, in fact eagerness, to partner with Churches, Christian missions, and organizations of other religions to assist homeless families and provide resources to individuals WITHOUT, so far as I have been able to determine (and I have been paying close attention), trying to put any constraints on the beliefs and practices which lead faith-based organizations to get involved with the poor and needy in the first place. In one form or another, I have been involved with poverty alleviation since my late teens, and think it unlikely homelessness can be ended before sin is eliminated from the human race. John Hickenlooper, in all sincerity, disagrees with me and has done something real, practical, and long-lasting about it.

Martin Luther once said something about preferring to be ruled by a competent Turk (Muslim) than by an incompetent Christian prince. I would never vote for John Hickenlooper, but he has always struck me as competent, honest, good-natured, and motivated by a genuine desire to serve the people of Denver and, now, Colorado. I hope I am pleased with his service as governor as I have been with his service as mayor.

No comments: