Friday, August 17, 2012

They are going to break my heart (again)


 Mrs. Curmudgeon and I saw a teaser for Man of Steel, the latest attempt at a Superman movie, last month. Principal photography has been completed and a release date in June 2013 has already been set. It's produced by Christopher Nolan, a bona-fide film genius, but directed by Zack Snyder, whose frenetic style was perfectly suited to bring 300 to the screen, but turned Watchmen rather flat.

I go back and forth on this: will Nolan's maturity balance out Snyder's Red Bull addiction? Will the excellent supporting cast make Superman more credible? Will I get my hopes up yet again only to have them dashed?

Actually, the last isn't really a question. Yes, I will get all wound up, and yes, I will surely be disappointed because it is simply not possible to put an actual human being in Superman's costume and make me believe he's the real deal. Can't be done: it's a law of physics. I know this so well that it's become my rule of thumb for evaluating all superhero movies. (Captain America walks a very fine line; if they don't do something with his costume before his next movie, I won't be able to look directly at the screen.) And yet I keep wishing and hoping. I can't help myself.

Dear Hollywood,

  Please stop making Superman movies. My poor heart just can't take it.

yours,
 the Presbyterian Curmudgeon

No comments: