Thursday, May 22, 2014

A spelling dilemna


For the first couple decades or so of my life, I spelled it "dilemna," then felt foolish when I learned the proper spelling is "dilemma." As this website documents, however, I was far from alone: countless multitudes of English spellers around the world labor under the same misapprehension, and all for no good reason that anyone can figure out.

I can't decide if all the company should make me feel better, or if this is an example of the gross ignorance of crowds (as opposed to the wisdom of crowds).

I was alerted to said website by the excellent podcast of the Canadian Broadcasting Company radio show, Wiretap. Even though I listen to it every week, I find myself unable to turn off the universal American superpower of "Caydar:" as soon as I hear a Canadian accent, I am compelled to say to the nearest bystander, "That's a Canadian."

Because if you hear something, you should tell someone.

No comments: