Friday, April 23, 2010

Ain't No Grave


The posthumously released sixth volume of Johnny Cash's American Recordings series has been reviewed widely, and I've no intention of attempting my own critique. However, I do want to mention something I find extremely odd. Every review I've heard or read, including this sympathetically Christian one at the First Things website, has been compelled to pick and choose among the tracks, evaluating some as more wanting than others. This, I believe, misses the point entirely.

Of all the American Recordings, Aint' No Grave is most obviously to be listened to as an album. Taken in isolation, several of the songs are rather weak, and one might argue they should never have been released. But that's only if they are taken in isolation. Listened to as a whole, each track is a piece of a larger artistic statement about death and the inevitability of resurrection. While there is no "When the Man Comes Around" on this one, it may be the best album of the entire series.

No comments: