Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Translating the end of 1 Corinthians 7

My most recent post was written a number of years ago as an appendix to a larger work on the emancipation of minors. I posted it here because I'm preaching 1 Corinthians 7:31-40 this coming Sunday evening (April 25, 2010, in case my biographers were wondering). Thus, I should say that my preferred English version for the whole of 1 Corinthians 7:25-40 is the New International Version because the translators clearly favor the exegetical view I set forth in said most recent post (which, for the sake of those biographers, I note is heavily influenced by Gordon Fee's New International Commentary), although it thinks the virgin is getting too old. Of even greater interest is that the NIV consistently translates "virgin" as "virgin," unlike any other modern translation I can find. (They do paraphrase "his" as "engaged," but that's because they're trying to make an obscure meaning clear). So, for once, the NIV is the most literal translation available in English.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it, all you "essentially literal" versions.

No comments: