Friday, August 19, 2011

The restoration & the Church


What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said,
“I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them,
and I will be their God,
and they shall be my people.
Therefore go out from their midst,
and be separate from them, says the Lord,
and touch no unclean thing;
then I will welcome you,
and I will be a father to you,
and you shall be sons and daughters to me,
says the Lord Almighty.”
In 2 Corinthians 6:16-18, Paul paraphrases and combines Ezekiel 37:27 (via Leviticus 26:11-12), Isaiah 52:11, Ezekiel 20:34, and 2 Samuel 7:14 to demonstrate that the New Testament Church is the temple of the living God. With the exception of 2 Samuel 7, these verses all come from passages prophesying the return of the exiles from Assyria and Babylon to Judah. (Even Leviticus 26 can be read in this way.) Thus, I was surprised when none of the commentaries I consulted made much of this fact. Along with his use of Hosea in Romans 9, this passage demonstrates the way in which Paul saw the Restoration promises fulfilled: first in the days of Ezra and Nehemiah, but with much greater effect in the work of Christ and the joining of Jew and Gentile in the Church.

2 points:
1) As Christians, we would do well to think through the implications of the Church as the Restoration of Israel from exile.
2) Given how the Restoration prophecies of Jeremiah 31 are developed in Hebrews, here is another good reason to believe Paul is in fact the author of that epistle as well.

No comments: