Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Men start the turkey on Wednesday


If memory serves (and let's be honest: it rarely does), it was seven years ago that Mrs. Curmudgeon told me I would be making the Thanksgiving turkey on the Weber grill. After I stopped hyperventilating, I began obsessing, and now I have raised the grilled turkey to a fine art. Strangely, it only occurred to me this year that I have been depriving the world of my vast, hard-earned expertise. This year, I have decided to blog my highly-developed process for the world's benefit.

You're welcome, world.

Turkeys, whether in the oven or on the grill, easily dry out because of the extended cooking time. The solution: brine. The webernet is full of brine recipes, but all you really need is a cup of salt and a tablespoon of pickling spice per gallon of water. (Many recipes also recommend kosher or sea salt. Pretentious much?) This year I was given some crabapple branches to use for smoking, so I thought I'd try to accent the sweetness by adding a little extra brown sugar, along with a bottle of white wine which Mrs. Curmudgeon and I found overly sugared.

I have a 5-gallon bucket in the garage reserved exclusively for turkey brining. I recommend brining for 12-24 hours before cooking; today, that meant about noon.

This year, we're doing our largest bird yet (21 pounds), and it has to be ready (more or less) by 1 p.m. Since that means I have to prep the grill around 7 a.m. on Thursday, I also loaded my charcoal chimney and set out my grilling tools.

Only amateurs think turkeys are prepared on Thanksgiving Day.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I started mine on Tuesday. Equal part salt and brown sugar. Rosemary sprigs. Lemons and oranges. Some chicken broth. Some other stuff... It's all good!