Friday, November 29, 2013

Thanksgiving Day, 7 a.m.


I light my coals in a chimney an hour before the turkey is to begin grilling, as the set-up is rather time-consuming. I do this on the gas grill in order to minimize soot on my Weber 22", which I use for all my artisanal grilling.

(Yes, that is an authentic set of vintage Korean barbecue tongs [circa 1968]: a legacy from Pa Curmudgeon's legendary bachelor days which I use to handle hot coals.)

Then I haul the brining bucket from the garage refrigerator (yes, I have to pull out several shelves and let my beer sit overnight at the garage's ambient temperature; no sacrifice is too great for a masterpiece) and drain the turkey in the kitchen sink. Most recipes recommend rinsing the brine from the turkey. However, I rinse the turkey before brining, and my theory is that any residual brine will merely add flavor to the pan drippings, and hence to the inevitable gravy.

No comments: