Friday, November 29, 2013

Thanksgiving Day, 9 a.m.


In the first hour of grilling, the outer flesh of the bird is seared, turning the skin a pleasing light gold. Given their relative fragility and close proximity to the hot coals, the risk now is burning the wings and drumsticks. Accordingly, I wrap the sides in heavy-duty aluminum foil. The resulting tent also convects the steam rising from the roasting pan up over the skin, and hence bastes the turkey for me.

I love smoked meats, but Mrs. Curmudgeon is not so enthusiastic. After my first turkey came out closer to bacon than not, I began adding hardwood to the coals only after the first hour of cooking. The smoke doesn't penetrate already-cooked meat as deeply, and the result is a very lightly smoked flavor, almost barely noticeable.

In recent years I've been using branches from an old cedar tree we took down from our front yard a while back, but, as previously mentioned, I have some crabapple branches with which to work this Thanksgiving. I place one on either side of the roasting pan, add some fresh coals, replace the lid, adjust the vents to a medium heat, and begin hanging Christmas lights on the house.

(Technically speaking, you don't need to hang Christmas lights in order to properly grill a turkey, but it works for me.)


No comments: