Thursday, December 19, 2013

A surprisingly merry Christmas album


I don't ask for much from popular culture: just one marvelous Christmas album every year to add to my personal canon of seasonal cheer for the ages. Sadly, this season was looking about as dry as the last few, which led me to take a chance on Erasure.

Yes, Erasure.

If you, like me, came of age in the 80s, you will be familiar with at least a few of their earlier songs. (If I'm not mistaken, a copy of Upstairs at Eric's, the second album by Vince Clark's previous project, Yaz, was issued to every suburban teenager of my generation, along with a pair of Converse Chuck Taylor high-tops.) As with nearly all Christmas albums, Snow Globe is a mix of originals and classics, but all are delivered here with an admirable lack of cynicism. (If only the same could have been said for She & Him's disappointing venture into the genre.) This late into their career, I'm cheered to see Erasure are still as sincere as ever. For me, the stand-outs on the album are "Midnight Clear" and "Bleak Midwinter," although the latter choice may simply reflect the fact that "In the Bleak Midwinter" is one of my all-time favorite Advent hymns. Electro-pop might not be everyone's idea of Christmas music, but those so inclined will find a great deal to enjoy here.

For the rest of you, I recommend saving your shekels and getting over to the Noisetrade site (although you will be asked to leave "tips"). In my opinion, its standout offerings this year are Beta Radio's The Songs the Season Brings (especially "The Carol of the Banjos") and the Rosebuds' Christmas Tree Island.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good Christmas album!

No comments: