Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Thanksgiving Day: The long-expected turkey


I checked the turkey's internal temperature for the first time at 1 p.m., at just under 5 hours from the beginning of the grilling process. My meat thermometer recorded 176 degrees (fahrenheit, of course;  it's not October and this isn't Canada), which confirms my belief that the weather is the controlling factor in grilling time. Since a turkey is considered cooked at 160 degrees, I guesstimate this 21-pound bird was done in about four and a half hours. Remarkable: that competes with a standard oven.

As Thanksgiving dinner was scheduled for 3 p.m., I lowered the heat in my Weber grill by reducing air flow to almost nothing. After a shower, I wrapped the roasting pan and bird in heavy-duty aluminum foil and towels for transportation to the off-site meal location. This kept the turkey sufficiently warm for serving when the dinner itself commenced.

As per usual, I was pleased by the striking visual effect of the turkey skin's mahogany hue, the result of sitting in smoke. (As I don't eat the skin, I can't say how the brine and smoke affects the taste.) The turkey retained moisture very well: juices ran off the serving/carving platter and stained the tablecloth. I did not notice any particular sweetness in the meat, despite the extra sugar and wine in the brine. I increasingly suspect the best way to add flavors to a turkey is through post-brine, pre-grilling preparations such as onions or fruits in the cavity or herbs inserted below the skin. The smoke notes this year were very subtle; this may be due to using branches which were still relatively green.

All done with the mildly obsessive chronicle. I promise.

No comments: