Monday, December 23, 2013

Ah, when Christmastime was beer


My tastes in beer are constantly evolving, and over the last few years I've come increasingly to prefer crisp pilsners and IPAs. As I returned to past Christmastide favorites this year, I found I am no longer as enamored of the seasonal offerings as I once was. I am put off by the accent on malts, but continue to appreciate those which balance them with plentiful hops. Notable for satisfyingly hoppy finishes, I still enjoy Full Sail's Wassail and Breckinridge's Christmas Ale. Sadly, my increasing finickiness means no new Christmas favorites this year.

But do not despair, dear reader and fellow drinker. As we all know, Christmas is just the beginning of what can be a cold, cold winter (plenty of ice and snow), and the winter warmers have a certain charm. I recently sampled a bottle of Pyramid's Snow Cap Ale which made favorable impression. However, my favorite since the recent solstice has been New Belgium's Accumulation, a white IPA. As every curmudgeon can attest, sometimes bitterness, by way of copious IBUs, is all that can warm a cold, cold heart.

No comments: